Starting a new job? Beginning a new clinical? We sat down with Jerry Durham, PT to pick his brain and seek advice on how to OPTIMIZE the first few weeks during a new PT position. Jerry has been a great mentor to many PT’s and like so many of our colleagues, we deeply appreciate his wisdom and willingness to share his experiences form a patient-first perspective to healthcare.
Keys to success from this episode:
- The mindset for the drive in during the first week
- The physical flow of the clinic
- Show up early
- What are the managers looking for? How communication and education are perceived
- How to handle the “experience” conversation
- Owning what you don’t know
- How to be accountable and using a log
- Calming down during evaluations
- How to get out of our own head – be the expert you’re trained to be
- How self doubt is different than self reflection
- Optimizing reflection and feeling effective
- The potential of night journaling
Follow Jerry on social media platforms @ JerryDurhamPT, tune into his podcast with Andrew Rothschild: Healthcare Disruption, and check out his website: Jerrydurhampt.com
Interested in improving your PT education? check out www.nxtgenpt.com to find out how you can learn from elite clinicians and bring your skills to the next level.