Diving Into Sleep With Dr. Michael Breus
Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He was one of the youngest people to have passed the Board at age 31 and, with a specialty in Sleep Disorders, is one of only 163 psychologists in the world with his credentials and distinction. Dr. Breus is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and appears regularly on the show (>30 times in 4 years).
Dr. Breus is the author of The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; May 2011), a groundbreaking book discussing the science and relationship between quality sleep and metabolism.
His first book, GOOD NIGHT: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-WeekProgram to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin), an Amazon Top 100 Best Seller, has been met with rave reviews and continues to change the lives of readers. It is now available in paperback as BEAUTY SLEEP: Look Younger, Lose Weight, and Feel Great Through Better Sleep.
His latest book is now published! THE POWER OF WHEN: Working with your body’s inner clock for maximum health, happiness, and productivity is easy, exciting, and fun.
- What is sleep?
- The two brain systems of sleep: Drive and Rhythm
- What is Adenosine and why its important
- Synching drive and rhythm to get a better sleep
- Knowing YOUR timing and sleep needs and making it consistent
- Caffeine impact on sleep
- Signs of sleep deprivation
- “Normal” sleep habits in terms of quantity and quality
- Common pathologies and risk factors for poor sleep
- The secret to sleep & ramping down
- What’s the deal with dreaming? what happens and why we do it
- Disrupting and assisting “deep sleep”
- Abnormal sleep cycles
- Technology and its impact on sleep
- Visit www.lighting.science and www.swanwicksleep.com for some cool sleep technology
- light is medicine and respecting light
- Defining a “Chronotype” and The Power of When
- Rescheduling minor things for major sleep improvement
Stay tuned to all of Dr. Breus’ well read work and new projects at www.thesleepdoctor.com
Music by www.bensound.com