Jim Laird has been working as a Strength and Conditioning Coach helping clients achieve their goals since 1997. He has 4 years of Division One coaching experience and over a decade of working with clients in the private sector. He has worked with everyone from housewives who just want to look good and feel good, to professional athletes in the NFL, LPGA, and MLB; his most notable client being Scott Downs who is currently with the Chicago White Sox and is going on his 13th year in the MLB.
As an elite level Powerlifter, Jim pushed his body to the limit for years, and now understands the difference between working out to be healthy, and working out to achieve a high level performance goal, and he want to help others do the same. Jim has a reputation for two things: getting more results from less work, and getting his clients both strong and healthy. Jim’s motto of “Training Smarter, Not Harder” has earned him the respect and recommendation of numerous orthopedic surgeons and physical therapists.
In this episode we explore:
- How to get yourself in – shovel the shit to grow the flowers!
- First impressions and the observant eye
- Default movement strategies
- Shoutout to the Paleo Solution Podcast and Robb Wolf
- Assessment and relationship tools
- BrainWave App
- Working In to work OUT
- Building capacity without hitting the high intensity button
- Building a relationship with exercise
- The stress response – tightness or living situation?
- progressing a common exercise movement
- Where will putting in the time get you?
- Faulty vs less than ideal patterns
- Strategizing movement
- Going deep into the subjective
- The biggie of the health industry? get results
- Applying technique
- The best coaches may put themselves out of a job
- The epitome of a sign-off
Follow Jim at body.io jimlaird.org gymlaird.com
Follow Aimee @fitnerdaimee fitnerdphysio.com